Sunday, July 2, 2017

No Fun for Us

Independence week is hard for both of us for different reasons.  Some years we almost celebrate like a normal family.  Not this year.  Nope.

Dragon's PTSD is bad.  The sounds of the fire works, the smell of burning gunpowder and grills.  We celebrate the 4th with fire works to mimic the bombs and gun fire of a long ago war.  The sounds of war haven't changed that much.  A mortar round is still a mortar.  For Dragon, he is back in Afghanistan.  He isn't here with us.  He is far away reliving a nightmare I can't even imagine.

And let's add to the problem.  Because he has permanent damage from larium toxicity, the drugs used to treat PTSD don't work for him.  I have learned how to help him by changing his diet.  Absolutely NO MSG for one.  And I've added foods that are rich in the amino acids his brain needs to produce hormones.  I have done a lot of reserves trying to find anything to help.  Tremors, mood swings that make pregnant ladies look calm, panic attacks and flash backs.  The diet changes really help but every few months everything stops working.  Life becomes hell while his body re-sets.  Next week I'll reintroduce the foods that help and in a few days he will be back to normal.

But that doesn't help either of us this week.  Nothing we haven't done before.  Situation normal for a house with a combat vet.  FUBAR.  F@#$ed Beyond All Recognition.

This to shall pass.  We will both feel better after this holiday neither one of us feel much like celebrating.

4 comments:

  1. I'm praying things will be okay.
    I truly believe that diet helps. No grains and high fats that are healthful fats! Hope things get better sooner than later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We stayed home and played with some sparklers and a huge package of fire crackers. My old fire fighter turned it into a teaching moment that kept his mind occupied. Thankfully most people were considerate and put the fireworks up after 11. +it was a good evening. Better than I ever hoped for

      Delete
  2. Hello, I ran across your blog a long time ago and wanted to write, but lost your address before I got it done. My heart goes out to the two of you. I don't know if you're interested, but I wanted to make you and your husband aware of an organization called Got Your Six; the website is gotyoursixsupportdogs.com. They are a FIRST CLASS operation permeated with integrity, heart, and an incredible work ethic. Got Your Six is unique in that when a vet is provided a dog, there is no change to the vet. I know some of the people. They are amazing God bless your husband. God bless you and your family. And God bless America. (PS: If you do contact them, there is no reason to inform them about the source of contact. They are known in many states and regions outside of our own. It will not be at all strange to hear from someone far away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for the information. I'll share the link on the ptsd page I moderate. We have considered a service dog before but his job prevented it. The dog would be allowed but he was worried that it wouldn't be safe for the pup. Now that he is full time instead of part time, it may be time to reconsider.

      Delete